Search the Web

Monday, September 22, 2008

Update on Photo-Mosaic Quilt

Well... it's a little bit trickier than I thought...

After doing some web-surfing, I've come to the conclusion that I have to piece my 1/2-inch squares together into long strips, then sew down one row at at time, one atop the other, to successfully piece my picture.

Here's the problem: The first row went down just fine. But once I reached the second row, I saw I had to fold under at least one edge of the new pieces. Stitching the down, one at a time, wasn't going to work. By the end of the first five hours, I had done exactly one-and-a-half lines, line length approximately ten inches.

I was going absolutely nowhere, and very, very slowly.

So yesterday I picked up my squares, looked at the pattern and proceeded to sew the squares together, just like in a real quilt!

So far, so good. My pieceing has improved over the past few years, and gradually as I worked I got the hang of getting the piece to be the right width. Well, almost. I'm consistently off by two threads each square I sew. I should be able to figure this out.

In four hours I'd done eight rows. So I believe this to be the way to proceed.

The other suggestion I found, by the way, was to iron each square onto lightweight interfacing and sew them down with raw-edged seams.

While I don't ordinarily object to raw-edge seams, I was sure I'd seen this type of quilt done with finished seams.

So, there you have it. I'm piecing half-inch blocks together. Eight lines in, it still looks absolutely nothing like my mother, but since the colors are all in beiges, pinks, light browns and creams, I do have quite a hankering for Neapolitan ice-cream!

No comments: